Shotcrete is becoming increasingly popular among contractors and builders. It offers several advantages, and its application is highly economical and flexible.
Compared to regular concrete, shotcrete is more durable and imparts buildings and construction with higher mechanical strength. In addition, shotcrete structures are less porous and have a high bond strength. This reduces the construction time and cost.
Shotcrete is ideal for water retaining structures like river walls, reservoirs, water towers, aqueducts, dams, canal linings, swimming pools, irrigation, etc. In addition, tunnelling and underground mining activities contribute to the continued growth prospects of the shotcrete market.
Other uses include:
- Supporting excavation foundations in combination with rock and soil fixing techniques in rock slopes.
- Stabilising debris flow to protect channel linings and improve bridge safety.
- Rehabilitating bridges, silos, and other reinforced concrete structures.
- Restoring deteriorating piers, bulkheads, and other marine constructions.
- Shotcrete requires less formwork, making it more economical than conventional concrete.
- A small space is required for construction.
- Due to its high cement content, shotcrete is durable.
- Shotcrete has low permeability and is resistant to fire and mould.
- Shotcrete can easily be applied to irregular surfaces and hard-to-reach areas.
- Shotcrete provides excellent corrosion resistance.
- It is frost resistant.
- Shotcrete has high initial strength and can reach 21N/mm2 within 24 hours.
There are a few disadvantages to shotcrete. This mainly relates to the need for expert and skilled operators to ensure proper placement and weather conditions. A strong wind will reduce the deposit energy, and rain could trigger slouching.
CONTACT SHOTCRETE AFRICA FOR DETAILS
In addition to its benefits in the building, construction, and mining industries, shotcrete is an excellent alternative to unstructured superstructure and substructure repair.
If you would like to know more about the shotcrete process and our expertise, get in touch with a representative from Shotcrete Africa today.